Saucy Spider with Hairy Leg Sticks
Create a bewitching version of this beloved candy-coated treat by dipping small Red Delicious apples in a bright red syrup flavored with red cinnamon candies.
- 12 very small Red Delicious apples (from bagged apples)
- 12 (8-in. long) clean twigs, thin wooden dowels or candy sticks
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) each light corn syrup and hot water
- 1/2 cup(s) red cinnamon candies (like Red Hots)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) liquid red food color
- Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples; remove stems. Insert twigs firmly into stem ends.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; stir until sugar dissolves. Attach a candy thermometer to side of pan. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 250°F (wipe down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush occasionally to prevent crystallization).
- When mixture reaches 250°F, add cinnamon candies and stir just to blend. Continue to cook until 300°F, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and swirl in food color, tilting saucepan, until blended. Let mixture settle for a minute until bubbles slow down.
- Holding an apple by the twig and tilting pan, dip and swirl apple until coated. Lift apple and gently twirl over saucepan, letting excess drip back into pan. Place on prepared baking sheet, twig up. Repeat with remaining apples.
- Allow apples to stand at room temperature until candy coating hardens, about 1 hour. Candy apples can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored at room temperature.
Witch's Wicked PunchThis frightfully refreshing concoction is made from lemon-lime seltzer and lime sherbet. Be sure to use a clear punch bowl to reveal the ghoulish beverage.